At Basti’s last pediatric checkup, one of our assignments was to go for our first dental check-up. I finally got around to doing it today. I decided to check out Dentphix Clinics in Silver City, only because it was walking distance from my house.
I like the lobby and the facilities.
Our dentist was Dr. Fina Gupit-Lopez, a very pretty lady with four kids of her own. She checked Basti’s teeth, cleaned them and did a flouride treatment, all while Basti’s favorite Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was playing on a television set in the room. Basti did well. There were a few tears of protest but he mostly stayed still and was cheerful again soon after, with a little toy and a Mickey Mouse toothbrush from the dentist to reward him. I wish I had someone there to take pictures. It was really pretty awesome. Sadly, Basti already has signs of tooth decay on his front teeth. That’s what I get for procrastinating!
Here’s a few things I learned from our visit that I thought I’d share with you:
- The bacteria that causes tooth decay is contagious! The dentist said that blowing on your child’s food before feeding is a cause for passing on the bacteria. So mommies, don’t do this, and tell your yayas not to do this too!
- It’s good to go for a dental check-up on your second trimester of pregnancy so you don’t have bacteria to pass on when you give birth.
- There is no need to rinse after brushing your teeth, even for us adults! Don’t rinse your teeth and let the flouride work its magic. If you rinse or eat something within 30 minutes, the brushing would have been for nothing.
- Basti nurses during bedtime, so the doctor suggested I give him a quick brush just before settling in. She said to do it lying down in bed, and again, no need to rinse. Basti will learn to spit eventually. Keep the amount of toothpaste to just a dash.
- Chocolate is a better snack than crackers or potato chips because it melts and gets washed off by water. Crackers, cereal, wafers or chips will get stuck in the teeth and cause cavities!
We’ll be back again in two weeks to catch up with the decay on Basti’s teeth. Good oral habits is something I want to establish with Basti. During my childhood, regular dental visits was something we didn’t do, even though my aunt was a dentist! I’m going for my own visit soon.
Thank you Dr. Fina and Dentphix for such a great experience for Basti!
Dentphix is on the Ground Floor of Silver City in Frontera Verde, Pasig City. Tel. No.: 5840693, 2162928.